Importance of Home Indoor Air Quality
Do you feel more tired when you spend time at home than when out and about? Do you have indoor allergies? If so, you may be experiencing poor indoor air quality in your home.
What Problems Are Caused by Poor Home Air Quality?
Poor indoor air quality causes a variety of health issues. These include:
- Irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat.
- Fatigue and poor sleep.
- Long-term respiratory disease.
- Increased risk of heart disease.
- Increased risk of cancer.
Some people are more sensitive to some contaminants than others. It’s normal for one person in the household to experience symptoms and another not to, but they are still warning signs. It can also be worth talking to your doctor about an allergen test to see if you can identify specific contaminants causing problems.
What Causes Poor Home Air Quality?
If you have signs of poor air quality in your home, then it can be caused by a variety of factors. Smoking is a known factor, as are any appliances that burn fuel. While a fireplace is great, if your chimney is not doing its job, it can cause a lot of pollution. Other factors can include:
- Insulation containing asbestos.
- Newly installed flooring, upholstery, and carpets.
- Household cleaning and maintenance products, including products used in hobbies. (If you use glue a lot, try to do your projects outside or in the garage).
- Poorly-maintained heating and air systems.
- Excess moisture.
- Pesticides being used in your hard and the area.
This can give some immediate causes for action. Sometimes you may need to change a cleaning product because somebody is sensitive to it. Always change your heating and air conditioning filters as the manufacturer recommends. There are some other things you can do, though.
How to Fix Poor Air Quality
Other than maintaining your heating and air conditioning systems properly, there are quite a few things you can do to fix your poor air quality. Here are some of the best:
1. Install an EZ Breathe system. Tests show that EZ Breathe reduces radon levels, as well as levels of potentially harmful mold. The system is easy to operate and works better than humidifiers. It can be used in basements and crawl spaces. As well as helping with air quality, EZ Breathe can also reduce damage done to your home by excessive moisture.
2. Establish a regular cleaning routine. If you have pets, you need to vacuum more often. Vacuum your mattress regularly. Vacuum carpets and area rugs once or twice a week. Clean pet bedding regularly.
3. Run your bathroom exhaust fan every time you use it, and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes after showering.
4. Avoid high-VOC cleaning products and aerosol cleaning products. These leave a lot more contaminants in the air.
5. Make sure to dust properly, including light fixtures, ceiling fans, high closet shelves and behind furniture.
6. Groom pets regularly to reduce the amount of hair and dander they leave around.
7. Open windows periodically to air out the house, even during the hottest part of summer and the coldest part of winter. Make sure to use screens to keep insects out. A closed house might be cozy, but it can also be very stale.
It’s not hard to improve your home’s air quality once you have recognized that there is a problem. One of the best solutions is to get an EZ Breathe. At Everdry Waterproofing, we can provide and install an EZ Breathe in your basement or crawlspace. This low-maintenance solution will improve your indoor air quality without any need to change filters, whilst also reducing the growth of mold and risk of condensation damage in your home.
Contact the Professionals at Everdry Waterproofing of Greater Grand Rapids Today! (800) 275-7910
Serving Michigan homeowners for over 32 years, Everdry is one of the Nation’s largest and most experienced waterproofer.
Locally owned, operated and staffed, Everdry professionals take a personal one-on-one approach in educating homeowners so they truly understand all their options for creating a safe, dry, healthy and usable space in their basements.
What Sets Us Apart
- Unbeatable quality due to the experience of the owners and staff.
- Unbeatable value due to the efficiency and expertise of more than 32 years of experience.
- Unbeatable value due to the purchasing power of being one of the largest waterproofers in the nation.
- Unbeatable service due to the fact that EverDry is a locally owned and operated company.
- Members of the Home Builders Association
- H.U.D. evaluated
- I.C.C. evaluated (Report #94-07)
- Better Business Bureau Accredited with the Eastern and Western Michigan BBB
- Fully Licensed and Insured
The aforementioned memberships are important because we benefit from the constant exchange of information and knowledge. We are updated on everything from installation techniques, to customer service improvements. You benefit in the knowledge that these third party inspection agencies require us to meet stringent requirements to remain members in good standing.
Better Business Bureau
We have been nominated and won the prestigious Better Business Bureau’s Torch Award for Ethics many times, Chosen as a W.Mich.BBB Torch finalist in 2014 & 2015, Won the Torch Award for Ethics in 2016, Won the Eastern Michigan BBB Torch Award in 2019 and was also chosen as a Western Michigan BBB Torch finalist in 2019. Won the Eastern Michigan BBB Torch Award in 2023 and Finalist for the Western Michigan BBB Torch Award in 2020 & 2021!
To create raving fans of our customers and employees through frequent contact, constant training, a commitment to excellence and unlimited opportunity.