Facts to Keep in Mind Concerning Bowed Basement Walls
Basement wall bowing is a phenomenon that occurs when the walls of your basement start to bend or curve inwards. Bowed basement walls can be a serious threat to your basement and the entire house since they affect the foundation’s structure.
What causes basement wall bowing?
In most cases, wall bowing occurs a result of hydrostatic pressure. If the earth that surrounds the walls of your basement becomes saturated with water, it expands and exerts more pressure against your basement’s walls due to its increased weight.
Increased hydrostatic pressure can be due to flooding, poor drainage around your basement, and plumbing leaks that are not fixed in good time.
Other factors that can lead to bowed basement walls include:
- Frost heaving – The soil near the basement walls swells towards the foundation due to an increased presence of ice during very cold seasons.
- Expansive clay soils – The expansive soils round the basement wall can put a lot of lateral pressure on basement’s walls, especially when the level of moisture in the soil increases.
- Presence of large roots near your house – Large and expanding roots near your house can cause your basement’s walls to bow due to the pressure they exert on the walls over time.
Signs that you have bowed basement walls
Sometimes, it may not be easy to spot bowed basement walls. However, you need to look for any sign that may suggest that your basement’s walls are bowing. Here are some of the signs.
- Horizontal cracks: Horizontal cracks often occur due to wall bowing. When the soil around the basement exerts a lot of lateral pressure against the basement’s walls, the walls can bow and form horizontal cracks along the affected area.
- Stair step or diagonal cracks: These cracks are also likely to form as the wall bows inwards. Stairstep cracks and diagonal cracks indicate that sections of the basement’s walls are pulling apart due to the increased pressure from outside.
- Walls that are bulging or curving inwards: You may also notice that the walls of the basement are bulging or bowing inwards. This is a clear sign that the walls are being pushed inwards by the soil that surrounds them.
What you need to do
If you see any signs of bowed basement walls, you should have a professional contractor do an inspection and repair the walls as soon as possible. If left unrepaired, basement wall bowing can continue and lead to notable structural damage.
Serving Michigan homeowners for over 32 years, Everdry is one of the Nation’s largest and most experienced waterproofer.
Locally owned, operated and staffed, Everdry professionals take a personal one-on-one approach in educating homeowners so they truly understand all their options for creating a safe, dry, healthy and usable space in their basements.
What Sets Us Apart
- Unbeatable quality due to the experience of the owners and staff.
- Unbeatable value due to the efficiency and expertise of more than 32 years of experience.
- Unbeatable value due to the purchasing power of being one of the largest waterproofers in the nation.
- Unbeatable service due to the fact that EverDry is a locally owned and operated company.
- Members of the Home Builders Association
- H.U.D. evaluated
- I.C.C. evaluated (Report #94-07)
- Better Business Bureau Accredited with the Eastern and Western Michigan BBB
- Fully Licensed and Insured
The aforementioned memberships are important because we benefit from the constant exchange of information and knowledge. We are updated on everything from installation techniques, to customer service improvements. You benefit in the knowledge that these third party inspection agencies require us to meet stringent requirements to remain members in good standing.
Better Business Bureau
We have been nominated and won the prestigious Better Business Bureau’s Torch Award for Ethics many times, Chosen as a W.Mich.BBB Torch finalist in 2014 & 2015, Won the Torch Award for Ethics in 2016, Won the Eastern Michigan BBB Torch Award in 2019 and was also chosen as a Western Michigan BBB Torch finalist in 2019. Won the Eastern Michigan BBB Torch Award in 2023 and Finalist for the Western Michigan BBB Torch Award in 2020 & 2021!
To create raving fans of our customers and employees through frequent contact, constant training, a commitment to excellence and unlimited opportunity.